Monday, January 01, 2007

Gift of Emoinu!

Today being the last of the year, I bought a calendar for the New Year this evening!

This mostly sums up the moods in Imphal as I’m typing this post right at the moment. It is not fair to describe it as the low key celebration of the end of the year. It will be more appropriate to describe it as the absence of celebration. I’m surprised by this turn of the event.

By now, it can be safely inferred that something is definitely going on in this society. It’s the feeling of not living in a normal time and situation. I suspect that previously this feeling of living in an abnormal time and situation was just an undercurrent of the society. But by now it is forming the mainstream of the society.

Today is also the day when Emoinu is worshipped.

I’m not that religious to plan for anything particular for the Emoinu’s day. It’s just the normal day for me. I shopped for vegetables, fruits and fish. The elderly woman selling the fish gave me double the quantity of fish which I would get by that amount in any given day. I was surprised. But she informed me it would not lucky for her to bring home any unsold fish on this day of Emoinu. This is news for me. But I got the larger fish!

When I returned home, I found out I spent all the cash I carried for my shopping. Except for one single coin of the denomination of Rupee 1 in my pocket. I was surprised! Just one of Rupee 1!! So, I took it as the gift of Emoinu and locked up safely in my locker!!!

No comments: