Friday, January 12, 2007

My brush with history!

This I didn’t prompt her! Tonight, one of my sisters invited me for dinner. As is evident from the timestamp of this post, I arrived at the blogosphere a bit early. But I’m also going to bed early. For several nights now, it was well past 1 in the morning when I retired to my bed. That will be bad for health.

Talking of health, my stock of green tea exhausted yesterday.

Developing a liking for green tea in Imphal is proving to be a real struggle! Most of the time, I bought my stock from Guwahati. Several kgs at a time. That was in the early days. I made enquiries at all the tea leave distributors of Imphal but they said they were procuring all their stocks from auction and they could not get green tea from there.

In the meantime, I came across a packed green tea from a guwahati-based company. But yesterday, when I went to my grocer for a packet, all of them were marked as manufactured in 2005. The packet also clearly mentioned that it should be used within 1 year of the manufactured date.

So, what to do now?

As a last resort, I again visited a distributor at B.T. Road. This time they have the stock. The guy at the counter informed me that they had just started keeping the stock. They will be keeping the stock at the rate of 5 kgs a month! They are kind of testing the market.

As I returned home in the afternoon with my 100 gms of green tea, a thought occurred to me.

If someone, for some reason, starts compiling the Cheitharol Kumbaba for the 21st Century, there would be an entry for the month of 2007 like this:

Beginning the early part of the first of the first of the year 2007, a distributor, located at the historic B.T. Road at Imphal started selling green tea for the first time in Manipur, keeping the stock, for the start, at the rate of 5 kgs per month.

I am absolutely certain that it would be totally valid entry in the Kumbaba!

Well, it was my brush with history for the 11th day of the first month of the year 2007!!

No comments: