Monday, January 08, 2007

A collector's item!

Somehow, I could not find time to go through the old article by Irom Sharmila, let alone typing out the transliterated text. May be, I’m living through a curse of the God of small things! So many small things to mind. It was already 3.30 in the afternoon when I finished having my lunch.

I’ll publish the text tomorrow.

And here is the story of how I stumbled upon a 10-yrears old newspaper.

I’ve this huge desk. At this moment, I’m typing this out right on that desk. This desk can accommodate my monitor, processor tower, UPS and my speakers and still having space for the keyboard and the mouse!

As befitting the desk, there is this big drawer at the right side when I sit facing my computer. As long as I can remember it, this drawer remained locked and I did not have any idea where the key was. It was only some months back that the key in question materialized out of blue.

I still remembered the day when I used the rusty key to open the creaky drawer. To my disappointment it was jam packed with old newspapers.

For months now, I’ve been using the old newspapers to wrap up fish innards and fruit peels!

The particular newspaper in question is Huiyen Lanpao.

I know that the brand Huiyen Lanpao was sold to a new group. I doubt that the transaction did cover the archival materials of the newspaper. There is this likelihood that all the old copies of the paper are in disarray and rotting in some dank corners of a godown. The only other reliable place where it would have been stored properly was the Central Library. But it was also burnt down.

All these point to the fact that I had stumbled upon a collector’s item!

But, still, I’ll publish the text tomorrow.

No comments: