Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Report on the first bandh of the New Year!

Either it is something to do with the previous day’s ‘wining and dining’ or the plain support of the bandh, the first bandh of the New Year is an effective one. On most bandh days, we can buy groceries and et al in Keisampat area. But today it was completely shut down.

I had a schedule for meeting a friend. I could not miss it and so I went there anyway. Two wheelers, cycles and rickshaws were plying on the streets. After finishing talking business with me my friend told that he went to an epaan thouram the previous night. On the way, he passed the mortuary of the RIMS. The mortuary was packed with all the top brass of Manipur People’s Party (MPP). They were waiting for the mandatory post mortem on the lifeless body of Mr Chingsubam Akaba.

My friend suspected that unknown to the general public Akaba seemed to have a very active role in the recent developments in the affairs of the MPP, particularly in the run up to the coming election. He was also an unsuccessful candidate for a State Assembly from Wankhei constituency.

My friend was visibly disturbed and told me that Akaba’s killing seemed to be the beginning of a coming spate of political killings likely to accompany this coming Assembly election.

For several months now, few of the regular readers in the small library hotly debated about the advisability for the naharols to try to influence the outcome of the Assembly election. They have been doing that loudly inside the small reading room! According to them, it is by now well established that the naharols are trying to influence the election.

I have not given any particular thought to the raging debate inside the reading room! But during the last few weeks important MPP leaders have been publicly expressing their political agenda for pitching in for plebiscite for resolution of the insurgency problem. That seems to point to some grain of truth to the raging debate.

Around 7 tonight I had been to one of my sisters’ house. There I learnt that shots were fired at the sitting MLA of the Wangkhem Constituency, Mr Nimaichand Luwang. He is also a top leader of MPP.

I have no means to confirm the news at the moment but if is true, I think we can talk of seeing a pattern forming.

No comments: