Tuesday, January 16, 2007

REALLY?

Like last night, tonight saw Keisampat and Paona Bazar areas thrown into complete darkness. When I returned home along the Paona Bazar Road from my daily visit to the small library near G.M.Hall, I felt like actually traveling inside a tunnel. Not a light in sight.

Last night was an exception of sort. I personally visited the ‘complaint room’ telling them that there was this power outrage in my area. They said they would they would look into it. Apparently, they didn’t. I only got power supply in my house only late in the evening today.

What is my response to this state of affair? As a private citizen living in such a situation, what ought to be my reaction to it?

It would seem to be an irony but I’m actually enthusiastic in my response to it!

I’ve a friend who lives around 6-7 kms from Imphal. Such a small distance from here but they are living just near a hill range.

I told this friend of mine not to bank on Manipur Govt’s services regarding power supply. Instead, go in for a small wind mill. I told him about a small business in Langol housing complex dealing in small wind mills.

Whenever I’m Langol housing complex area I make it point to have a look at office of the wind mill guys. They put up some wind mills in their office premises, apparently for demonstration purposes. They are wind mills as small as an exhaust fans! Although small in size, they are so furiously there. I’ve no doubt in mind that in Langol areas if someone put up several of puny wind mills they can be effectively out of the Manipur Government power grid.

Whenever I see those small wind mills working so furiously, I rue my predicament of not living near a hill range.

That’s the reason why I was so enthusiastic at telling my friend about those wind mills.

Seeing my enthusiasm, my friend smiled and replied—‘I know’.

He knows? And, doing nothing when actually living near a hill range?

He informed me that those wind mills were advertised on the daily basis on the spots of ISTV News! Well, I’ve been living without ISTV news for so many years!

He further informed me that he actually saw some of those puny wind mills coming up in Nagamapal and RIMS Road areas.

This time I replied---‘Really?’.

No comments: