Monday, January 29, 2007

The power of the crowd!

I started taking the anti-allergic pills this morning. And I'm already feeling better! (See my last post).

This is the case of the close encounter of daily kind. Encountering what? Yes, power of the crowd. This may just be the glimpse of the underlying idea behind the feasibilty of crowd sourcing.

In my case, the friend of mine who recommended me the pill is just a businessman--he is in no way connected with medicine. And, I was not scouting for advice either. We were just in a small gathering, talking and enjoying ourselves. But from that crowd came out a really actionable advice! Long live the crowd sourcing!!

Today another of friend (also in a small crowd) of mine told me that I had been too enthusiastic about the prospect of MPP in this election. He told me that the Party had no chance to come out with more than a dozen MLAs. In contrast, he said, the Indian National Congress had the likelyhood of getting at least 20 MLAs. He based his calculation on the individual 'electability' of the candidates.

I told him that he was being too impressed with the sitting MLAs. I also told him that it was natural to feel the sitting MLAs as quite formidable.

But, if there is a subtle change in the general public mood, anything can happen. All the sitting MLAs who look so formidable right now will fall like dominoes.

I know he has quite dependable basis for thinking that the Congress will be returned to power. I'm not supporting any particular party. But my point is that anything can happen in this election.

That said, I'm also aware of the power of the crowd!

No comments: